Present church formed by union of Fossoway and St Serf’s Church (CofS) and Devonside Church (UF) in 1963. Building Grade ‘C’ listed. Dates from 1729. Place of worship in parish since 14C. Elizabeth Wilkie Hall added to church in 2000.
EXCERPT FROM THE 1861 PAROCHIAL DIRECTORY FOR FIFE AND KINROSS
PARISH OF FOSSOWAY AND TULLIEBOLE.
THIS PARISH, of which the chief portion is in Perthshire, lies to the west of Kinross-shire. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Dunning, on the east by Orwell and Kinross, on the south by Cleish, Dunfermline, Torryburn, and Saline, and on the west and north-west by Clackmannanshire and Muckart. It is about eleven miles long, by ten at its greatest breadth; but its form is very irregular, and its total superficial area is not reckoned at above 50 square miles. The united Parish consists of three districts in Perthshire belonging to Fossoway, which were to a great extent separated from one another, until consolidated by the insertion of Tulliebole, belonging to Kinross-shire, amongst them. The northern parts of Fossoway, and the part of Tulliebole which connects them, constituting the entire northern section of the united parish, are a continued congeries of hills running up to the centre of the Ochil range, some of their summits rising to from 600 to 1100 feet above the level of the sea. Some of the hills are covered with moss or heath, but most are green to the summit, and afford good pasture for sheep and black cattle. The central and southern sections, consisting of the main body of Tulliebole and the southern part of Fossoway, though considerably elevated above sea-level, are arable over most of their area, with an improvable soil of gravel, clay, till, and loam. Tulliebole, though appearing between the Cleish Hills and the Ochils to be a level country, is yet the highest ground in the plain which stretches between Kinross and Stirling, and sends off its brooks in the opposite directions of east and west. Owing to the attraction of the hills on either side, it has many cloudy and rainy days, and later seasons than the adjacent districts. The Devon, though winding through the Perthshire section of the Parish for a number of miles, only touches the County at the Crook-of-Devon; and the two Queichs and the Gairneys, which drain the Parish on the north and east, have been shortly noticed in the introduction to the County. The principal minerals are- coal, limestone, sandstone, and ironstone, none of which, however, are wrought in the Kinross section of the Parish.
The Parish is traversed by the road from Kinross to Stirling, and by other turn-pike and statue-labour roads ; and the Devon Valley Railway, now in course of formation, runs through the centre of the Parish, from east to west.
Fossoway and Tulliebole were united into one parish about the year 1614; but for a long time afterwards both Churches were used- the minister officiating two Sabbaths in Fossoway and one in Tulliebole; but in 1729 a new Church was built for the united Parish, since which period there has been only one Parish Church. The present Church, which is at Fossoway, was built in 1806, and contains 525 sittings. There are also a Free Church at Fossoway, and a Chapel of Ease at Blairingone in Perthshire. The Parish School is a little to the east of the village of Crook-of-Devon, in addition to which there are a Free Church School at Fossoway, and a Subscription School at Carnbo.